Raw rice – 1 cup
Toor Dal – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
Urid dal – 1 tbsp
Jeera (cumin seeds) – 1 tbsp
Channa dal – 2 tbsp
Dry red chillies or green chillies – 4-5
Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
Water – 5 cups
Corainder – For garnishing
Preparation of Arisi Upma:
- Grind the raw rice and toor dal in a mixie till the rice broke into tiny pieces. Do not grind the rice to flour.
- Heat (medium flame) oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. After it crackles add urid dal, jeera (cumin), channa dal and fry lightly.
- Now add chillies, 5 cups water, grated coconut and salt. Cook till the water starts boiling.
- Now pour the rice mixture into it and mix well. Shift the content to a vessel suitable to keep in a pressure cooker.
- Close the vessel with a lid and close the pressure cooker. Allow 4 – 5 whistles and remove the cooker from heat.
- Once the pressure is released take out the vessel, mix the contents well and garnish with coriander.
Enjoy with Chutneys……
You can also do this without coconut. Use gingelly oil for frying to add more flavour.
If you do not wish to cook this in pressure cooker use can cook in normal pan. Follow the same procedure till step 4. Do not change the content. Just allow it to cook in medium flame in the same pan. Stir it at regular intervals.