Channa dal – ¼ cup
Toor dal – ¼ cup
Moong dal – 2 tbsp
Urid dal – 2 tbsp
Red dry chillies – 6-7
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Salt – to taste
Oil – to fry
Preparation of Vada:
- Soak all dal & red chillies in a bowl in hot water for 1 hour.
- After an hour, grind it in a way that some dal pieces are left half grounded. Add very little water for grinding. Grind it like a thick paste. Add salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a frying pan in medium flame and wait till it is heated well enough for frying.
- Now take a small amount of the vada mixture of ping pong ball size. Press it with hand to make it flat. Now drop it in the oil.
- Cook for a min and turn over the vada to other side. Cook till it turns to a golden brown colour.
- Remove from flame and put it in a bowl covered with tissues so that the excess oil is out. Follow the same procedure for all.
Enjoy it with Chutneys………
You can also grind the dal well and make the vada with a soft mixture. But for this vada, the crisp in the dal is the real taste. If you leave some dal half grounded, you will get crisper vada.
This is done during some festivals, but this can be done for usual snack.