This is my favourite modhakam. This is also called as Kaara kozhukatai. This is done only if there are some dough left. But my mom used to do this often for us as evening snacks…… Try it and enjoy…….
Yields 15-20 modhakams
Raw rice – ¼ cup (washed and soaked in hot water for 1 hour) or Leftover modhakam dough
Refined oil – 3 tbsp
Sambhar powder or chilli powder – 1 ½ tbsp or to taste and the amount of dough left
Salt – to taste
Preparation of Spicy Modhakam:
- Make dough as said in the “Preparation of Modhakam dough” in Sweet modhakam recipe.
- Add sambar or chilli powder, salt to the dough and mix well.
- Mix till the colour of the dough changes. Add little oil to get soft dough.
- Make a small ball and press it with hand gently to make a flat thick round shape.
- Follow the same procedure for the rest of the dough and keep it aside.
- Now place the flattened balls in Idli plate or any vessel for steaming.
- Cook for 5 mins in Idli cooker or pressure cooker and keep it aside.
This is generally done with the leftover dough of sweet modhakams. But you can also do this separately as evening snack.