Serves 13-15 rotis
Whole wheat flour – 1 ½ cup
All Purpose flour (Maida) – 1 ½ cup
Baking soda (Cooking soda) – ½ tbsp
Salt – to taste
Water – For kneading
Refined Oil – For kneading & cooking roti
Wheat flour – 3-4 tbsp for making roti
Preparation of dough:
- Take a large bowl, add both flour, salt, baking soda and mix well.
- Add little water & oil and start kneading the flour mixture.
- Add water & oil little by little and knead till all mix together and become soft dough.
- Cover the dough with a thin cotton or muslin cloth and keep it aside for 30-45 mins.
Preparation of Rumali Roti:
- Make medium size balls out of dough. Take a ball, dip it in wheat flour and roll it over a clean surface to make a circle. Roll the dough to make a very thin big circle. Make it as thin as possible.
- Follow the same procedure for all dough balls.
- Heat a flat tava in high flame. Once it is heated, lower the flame to medium and put the roti in tava. Add little oil around the roti and cook for 1 min.
- Now turn the roti to the other side and cook for 1 min. Keep it in flame for some more time if it is not cooked well.
- Take out the roti and fold it like a kerchief. Do the same procedure for all.
Tasty rumali roti is ready. Have with paneer dishes or any gravies.
Rumal means Kerchief in Hindi. This roti is called so becoz, we make this roti very thin like kerchief.
If you do not have a thin cloth to cover the dough, close the bowl with a lid for 1 hour.