Raw rice – 1 cup
Toor dhal – ½ cup
Channa dhal – 2 tbsp
Urid dhal – 3 tbsp
Moong dhal – 2 tbsp
Red dry chillies – 15-20
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Salt – to taste
Oil – for making adai
Preparation of Batter:
- Soak raw rice in a bowl with hot water after rinsing for 1 hour.
- Soak toor dhal, channa dhal, urid dhal, moong dhal, red chillies in a bowl with hot water for 1 hour.
- After an hour, grind the raw rice first well and then add all the dhals (Items in 2nd step).Add some water.
- Grind them well like dosai batter. Then add salt and keep it aside.
Preparation of Adai:
- Heat a tava in a medium flame. Once it is heated, pour batter with a cup shaped spatula and spread it to form a round shape.
- Pour little oil around that and cook for 2 mins. Then turn to the other side and cook for another 2 mins. Cook well till it turns to light brown colour. Follow the same procedure for the rest.
Have it with Jaggery, milagai podi or butter. But Avial is the famous combination of all.
Some grind the dhals lightly and add it with the rice batter. But for kids and old people, it is difficult to digest. If you grind well, then it is suitable for all ages.
You can also add green chillies to the batter.