Tomatoes (thakaali) – 5 (grinded or finely chopped)
Chilli powder or Sambhar powder – 1 ½ tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
Urid dhal – 1 tbsp
Jeera (cumin seeds) – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
Asafoetida – pinch
Curry leaves (optional) – 5 – 6
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Coriander – for garnishing
Preparation of Thokku:
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- After it crackles, add urid dhal, jeera, curry leaves, asafoetida and fry lightly.
- Now add the chopped or grinded tomatoes with some little water to cook.
- Add chilli or sambhar powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
- Cook it for 10 – 15 mins in a medium flame.
- When it starts to thickens, lower the flame. Stir it occasionally and cook till it becomes a thick paste. Remove from flame and garnish with coriander.
You can add some tomato puree (3-4 tbsp) just for some added taste.
You can have this with Dosai, Idly, adai. You can even mix this with plain rice and enjoy the tomato rice.