Raw rice – ¼ cup
Toor dhal – 1 tbsp
Water – ¾ cup
Jaggery – ½ cup
Cashews – 5 – 6 (break into pieces)
Dry grapes – 5 – 6
Ghee – 5 tbsp
Milk – 1/4 cup
Preparation of Chakkarai Pongal:
- Rinse the rice and toor dhal, add ¾ cup of water and cook well in a vessel for 15-20 mins till the water evaporates or in a pressure cooker (take out after 4 whistles).
- Take the cooked rice, add ¼ cup milk, mash it well and keep it aside.
- Fry cashews and dry grapes in 2 tbsp of ghee, till it turns to light golden brown and keep it aside.
- Now add jaggery with very little water in pan. The jaggery will start melting. One all got dissolved, remove it from flame and use a strainer to filter out the dirt or sand from the jaggery liquid.
- Pour the filtered liquid into the pan, heat it for a min and add the mashed rice.
- Mix and stir well till it becomes thick. Remove from flame, add the fried cashews, grapes and remaining ghee and serve.
If you are sure that there is no sand or dust in jaggery, you can add the rice immediately after it is dissolved. No need to filter.
You can add more ghee if needed.