Black channa (karupu kondaikadalai) – 1 cup (soak in water overnight)
Grated coconut – ½ cup
Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
Urid dhal – 1 tbsp
Jeera (cumin seeds) – 1 tbsp
Red dry chillies – 4
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Coriander – for garnishing
Preparation of Sundal:
- Cook the soaked black channa in a pressure cooker (take out after 4 whistles) or cooking vessel for 15 mins till it becomes soft. Drain the water and keep it aside..
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- After it crackles, add urid dhal, jeera, red dry chillies and fry lightly.
- Now add the cooked black channa, salt and mix well for 2-3 mins.
- Remove from flame and add the grated coconut and coriander.
Good to have as snacks or even as a side dish to rice.
You can also try the white channa with the same procedure.
You can also do this without coconut, if you want to avoid it.