Aloo – 1 (cut into pieces)
Peas – 1/2 cup
Tomato – 3
Tomato puree (if needed) – 1/4 cup
Cashews – 5 – 6
Sombu (fennel seeds) – 1 tbsp
Jeera (cumin seeds) – 1 tbsp
Pudhina (mint leaves) – 4 or 5
Elachi (cardamom) – 2 or Elachi powder – ½ tbsp
White pepper powder – 1 tbsp
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
Chilli powder – 1 tbsp
Dhania powder – 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tbsp
Amchur powder – 1 tbsp
Methi (fenugreek) powder – 1 tbsp
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Milk – 1/2 cup
Curd – 2 tbsp
Cream (optional) – 1 tbsp
Coriander – for garnishing
Paneer (homemade or bought from store) – 1 cup (cut into cubes) or 10 – 15 cubes
Hot water (needed only for the paneer bought from the store) – 1 cup
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Preparation of Aloo paneer matar:
- Grind the tomatoes and cashews with some water in a mixer.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add sombu, jeera, elachi, white pepper powder, pudhina leaves, asafoetida and fry lightly.
- Now add the tomato mixture, potatoes, peas and some water to cook.
- After 2 mins add all the above said powders (chilli, dhania, amchur, methi, garam masala, turmeric), some water if needed and cook for 10 mins so the potatoes will get cooked.
- When the gravy starts to thicken, add milk, curd, cream (optional), salt. Mix well and cook for 2 mins.
- Add corn flour mixed in water to the gravy to make it thick and remove from flame after a min.
- Paneer: Heat ghee in a separate pan and add paneer cubes. Fry till it turns to light golden brown and keep it aside.
- Add the fried paneer to the gravy and garnish with coriander just before serving.
Enjoy with roti, naan and paratha……..
Add the paneer (if bought from store) in hot water for a min to soften. Then fry it.
Click this “Homemade paneer” to see how to make paneer at home.
Add some tomato puree if the gravy is not sufficient.