Raw rice – 1 cup
Water – 3 cups (to cook rice)
Coconut grated – ½ cup
Green chillies – 4 or 5
Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
Urid dhal – 1 tbsp
Jeera (cumin seeds) – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – 4 or 5
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Coriander – for garnishing
Preparation of Coconut rice:
- Rinse the rice well in a cooking vessel, add 3 cups of water to it.
- Cover it and cook for 10 to 15 mins till the water gets evaporated.
- After it is cooked properly, keep it aside and cool it….
- Heat oil in a separate small pan and add mustard seeds.
- After it crackles, add urid dhal, jeera, curry leaves, chillies and asafoetida.
- After a light fry, remove from flame, add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Now mix the rice with the coconut mixture and salt.
Garnish with coriander…… Healthier and easy to cook.
The top side dishes for this rice are appalam, pickle, avial.
You can also add cashews for richness…